Removing Sod, Saving Earthworms, and Obsessing over Make-Overs

Removing Sod, Saving Earthworms, and Obsessing over Make-Overs

Spread the love

With lawn reduction growing in popularity, email groups are lively with discussions of how to remove the stuff.  There are basically four choices – digging, using a sod-cutter, smothering and spraying with herbicide.  I’ve removed a far bit of sod over the years, always using that first one – great exercise, and it’s fast enough for this impatient gardener.  (Who can wait for smothering and decomposition?)

In that article on the Fine Gardening site, I noticed this tip:  “Once the sod is gone, look for and destroy potential pests, such as the larvae of May/June beetles. ”  Curious, because all I found in my latest sod-removal project were these glorious earthworms deep in the turf, much too ensconced in it to simply be shaken off.  So each clump had to be turned over and shaken, then left for a while to give the worms time to escape.  Imagining their fate at the mulch-making facility where I was taking all the sod forced me to slow the hell down to give them a chance.  Earthworm-killing isn’t my idea of fun, and anyway, I want them here in this new garden; they’re my best workers.

Fine Gardening goes on to mention the good stuff that can be tossed away in the turf-removal project.

One drawback to sod removal is the significant loss of organic material, which greatly contributes to the health of plants. It must be restored as compost, as aged manure, or in some other form. Usually, topsoil must also be replaced. Some of it may be shaken out of the sod that was removed, but you will probably need more.

Agreed, and organic mulch will help a lot but by shaking off as much soil as possible and rescuing dozens if not hundreds of earthworms, this new garden is off to a good start.  Sure, I’m bringing weed seeds to the surface and I’ll be doing plenty of weeding this first season, but by next year the evergreen groundcovers (Sedum sarmentosum on the sunny side and and variegated Liriope on the shadier side) will have covered most of the island and weeding should be snap.  Anyway, I enjoy a bit of weeding.

Before and After

So here’s a couple of views of a little fence between the parking lot and a large lawn in my 10-townhouse court, where a neighbor had contributed two trees and three shrubs some years ago, but there was no one to tend it.  (The good news being that the plants have demonstrated their ability to survive total neglect.)

I wish I’d taken a photo before marking the new bed with orange marking paint coz it already looks a bit more orderly.

Ten days later, voila!  See how much work an obsessed gardener can accomplish?  I hauled 3 CRV-loads of weed and sod to the compost dump, leveled the grade a bit, added perennials and groundcovers donated by neighbors, and finally hauled in 3 CRV-loads of mulch and put the island to bed for the season.  Loved every minute of it.

Like the last neighborhood make-over I showed off here, this one cost nothing.

I’ll try to keep from adding more plants to it until the fall, but I’m not making any promises.  My gardening patience has proven to be limited.

Posted by

Susan Harris
on June 13, 2014 at 7:20 am, in the category Designs, Tricks, and Schemes, Lawn Reform.

One Comment
    • Laura Bell
    • 18th April 2015

    I saw a book just yesterday – The 20-Minute Gardener – and had to laugh. I am that title. Except for early on Saturday morning, I rarely get even 20 minutes a day to do my gardening.
    So when I decided to remove the back lawn (California suburbia, so not a huge undertaking, I debated the methods available. Given the windiness of this area (almost never stops) the layering method was out. I’d be chasing cardboard or newspaper all over creation. And I’d still have to run the sprinklers – in the winter, no less – to keep the smothering materials damp enough to decompose. Digging it out? I have five mature fruit trees planted close enough to lawn area that it’s a safe bet there would be large roots close to the surface. Indeed, now that the lawn is dead, I can see what the grass covered – roots on the surface in some places. And in converting the sprinklers to either drip or stubs, I’ve found lots of big roots just below the surface too.
    So the option I took? Turn off the sprinklers. We had a bone dry winter (rainfall in the single digits) and overly warm, too. By March, most of the fescue was dead, and what little hope of rain was shrinking like our reservoirs. All that remained in my “lawn” were the weeds, which miraculously exist without any water source. I pulled what I could, set a propane torch to those I couldn’t. And then I planted a few more fruit trees.
    Of course, now my non-lawn is waiting on me to have enough time to finish the sprinkler conversions, plant the grasses & trees I have, and spread a truckload (literally) of DG. Oddly, I’m normally an impatient person. But this 6+ month conversion is anything but speedy.

Leave a comment

Recent Posts

They asked for it!

A few weeks ago, the Ranters were asked by Time.com’s Money publication to supply a list of good and bad ways to spend money in the garden. I’ll be honest; I usually ...

Read More

The Landscapes of McMansion Hell

For making me laugh while I learn, I LOVE the architecture critic Kate Wagner and her highly opinionated blog McMansion Hell. Who could resist her “Pringles Can of Shame ™” award in ...

Read More

Evil, Frivolous Gardener!!!

This is the dominant native plant community in Southern California. It is beautiful, but it is not a garden. I am ruining the world. Because I like pretty plants. Because I practice ...

Read More